Wonderfully easy day today. We arrived 8am sharp for the deep bone biopsy ( I kid you not, that is the actual name). We got a buzzer handed to us – similar to some restaurants. When they are ready for you, the buzzer goes off – I have never seen anything like that in a hospital before… So we sit and wait, a nurse comes out and tells me that the doctor reviewed my MRI and the lesions are so tiny he can not biopsy them. That was awesome news… because I was really, really dreading this procedure. However, I wonder why the doctor did not review the MRI before the procedure was even schedule – would have been just a bit more efficient. But I guess efficiency is not priority #1 here.
While waiting in the waiting room for the buzzer to go off, my social Mom started a conversation with a fellow patient. He was coming out with a stem collection port that was just installed. The device does NOT look pretty. Anyhow, this man was at MM Stage 3B ( that is pretty bad) – with 80% kidney failure and 90% plasma cells. He is here from Los Angeles. He started the treatment about 3 weeks ago – his kidney are fine and his bone marrow plasma cells are down to 30% (very good news). He was very upbeat. It is great to run into patients like that…. He was around 50 or so… most people here are well over 70 – and it is not a pretty sight ( a bit on the depressing side). But hey… the good news is that they are here and getting treatment.
We also went by and visited our new home. It is beautiful… It was occupied by an architect at one time and has some very interesting things done to it. I will post some pictures of the house later… We are officially moving in tomorrow. Can not wait.
People here are extremely nice… everyone says “Yes, Sir” and people in the store at check out call you honey… And did I mention that local favorite food is friend catfish (don’t remember if I wrote this already).
My appointment with Dr. Barlogie (BB) is tomorrow. He will review all the tests I done up to now and I expect will give the green light to proceed with treatment starting on Thursday. We will also find out what version of the protocol I will be on.
Mashka, You missed my new haircut! I did it on the 30th right before New Year. Since my hair for the near future will get even shorter, I decided that it made sense to start the upward migration while I was back home. I am surprise how much I like it!!! I should have done it even sooner…. The lesson here is Never be afraid to try new things, you might like them. Thank you Chrissy for an awesome job!!!!
Well, that is it for today….
Tuesday, January 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment