A quick update. I am doing better. My stem cells are doing their job! My white blood count is up – to 1.57! I also was able to avoid any type of complications to date. That is really, really good! Feeling tired has been the only downside to date. We continue with our morning visits to the clinic. We now arrive at 7am. We are the first ones at the clinic. I get my daily infusion of saline – that gives me the needed boost for the entire day. My next doctor app is next Monday. If all goes well we should be able to go home for a couple of weeks.
To Feresaknit - To answer your question, the stem cell transplant at UAMS is an outpatient procedure. That means, you come in each day for treatment and go home. I was a bit worried about that initially. However, this actually worked out great! Since you are seen daily, the staff is able to address any issues on daily basis. Of course, if there are some major complications, you do get admitted into the hospital. My plan is to try to avoid the hospital! The first transplant will be followed by a second one in about 4-6 weeks.
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great news Lina! And yes, the outpatient idea, which by the way, they have been doing for 17 years in Little Rock, is indeed a scary thought! I was the caregiver, so between Dave being scared for "me" to be doing anything, and me being scared to do anything, it was an interesting challenge outside of our comfort zone. The few times I needed to call in the middle of the night, I was thrilled to be on the phone with someone within 60 seconds or less that helped me sort through what was going on and guide me, expertly. The last thing they want is for you to be in a hospital with a suppressed immune system, as we all know, you get sicker in a hospital than out. The caregiver classes and support are phenomenal in that regard to "hat" you on how to handle the smaller things.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are doing well and may get sprung next week! I remember LOVING that part. Although the first time, there was some trepidation on not having the daily checks from UAMS. But we got through it and always enjoyed our stays at home!
Lori
Awesome news Lina! Go on WBCs...continue to multiply!!!! -Phil
ReplyDeleteI quite like the idea of being able to go home daily but then there's the security that someone is on hand if you need it. Here (UK) you get your own little filtered air room with sealed windows (mind you, you need protection from the seagulls landing on them, where I'll be)and are kept in solitary confinement for the duration of the stay. And as Lori said we all know hospitals are full of sick people, blah! I am constantly amazed how much the same procedures vary. Warm wishes.
ReplyDelete