Sunday, August 1, 2010

Consolidation #2 begins

Hello All!

Back in Little Rock. We arrived last Tuesday – went through normal restaging tests. All this is part of our new norm…I remember when going through all these tests, the wait & everything else was so overwhelming. Now, all this seems like small details. We had a great meeting with our Dr. on Friday and even better dinner with him Friday evening. His dedication and love for his patients is incredible. I don’t think I ever met a doctor like him. I was socked and sadden by the death news of a fellow patient. He was going through the same protocol as I, low risk… He completed 2nd transplant. He did get sick after it and spent time in the hospital. I saw him in early June last and he looked fine to me. Anyhow, still trying to get over the news. But that is life I guess. I remember when I was getting my 2nd stem cell transplant, a lovely caregiver decided to stop by our room. Before leaving, she was nice enough to tell me that “not everyone makes it….” That was exactly what I needed to hear at the time :) But I guess that is very true. So you got to make the best of every day!
I got connected to chemo on Saturday. Will be getting it off on Wed and hoping to return home end of August.
Spending a month at home was wonderful and re-energizing! I am at the home stretch and so ready to get this treatment behind me… that is, not counting the three years of maintenance of course. But hey – all that is good. As another fellow blogger puts it – I would rather go through all that – the alternative is worse :)

Love,
Lina

9 comments:

  1. We all know there is a small risk of er, not making it as the lovely caregiver informed you - in an attempt to keep you cheerful I presume, and like you say we've got to make the most of every day so that once a cure is found and we get to be old and grey (our hair that is once it regrows) we can look back and say we had a hell of a time and were able to enjoy things more because of myeloma not despite it! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best for your last Consolidation round, Lina! It is amazing what you can get used to, isn't it? I'll be in LR this week for my latest 3 month check-up and then on to San Antonio, TX to visit with friends. I am grateful for every day that I get the better of MM. Stay well! Sean M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! Sean, Would love to meet you in person if that is possible. I am not up to going out in the evening as i am with my chemo bag :) I am always in the new MIC center, on the 4th floor... bright & early at 7am. Would be great to finally meet you face to face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you went to dinner with your doctor? That is dedication to take the time like that. Anyway, you have to tune people like that caregiver out and focus only on the fact that you will make it. The mind and body are very tightly connected so stay positive. Let me know next time you are in the office or back in Cali and I will bring Zion over for a visit. Still praying...MM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Maya! Can not wait to meet little Zion. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just sending all very best wishes from us here in the UK, have been following your treatment and wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Lina! Thanks for the note. I'll definitely try to look you up at the MIC later this week. See you then! Sean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susie, Thank you! Sending positive thoughts and vibes to you in UK!!! All the best!

    ReplyDelete