Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A doctor’s suggestion

After chemo as well as transplant, a person has neutropenia. That essentially means the white blood count is near zero. That means a person has no immune system to fight off any type of infection. That is the most vulnerable time. So a patient wears a mask, avoids eating anything raw, including fruits and vegetables and avoids crowded areas.

Anyhow, during my visit with Dr. B last Friday, I came in wearing my mask. He instructed me to take it off… and proceeded to tell me that I should not be putting my life on hold. I should be going to bars and restaurants… My mom told him only over hear dead body… I just love his attitude and zest for life! So I guess I will only dream about restaurants and bars for the time being – they will have to wait till I come out of neutropenia and Stan comes to visit in a couple of weeks.

Had a chat with Edward and Sam yesterday… the proceeded to tell me that they have run out of clothes (pants specifically). Now, if you only saw their closets…. You would understand why this is so funny. It is also interesting how both of them are running out of the same type of clothes: pants and shoes to be specific. Anyhow, maybe the pants got lost on their way from the laundry to their room :) I guess anything is possible.
They also mentioned how overwhelmed they are with all the house work. I asked them how was I able to do it just fine and never got overwhelmed. Their response: Since you been doing it so long - you must have gotten very efficient over time. My suggestion to them was – based on that logic, practice makes perfect – so give it a month more and they will be regular professional :)

1 comment: